TMJ 'dysfunction' - Health implications

Within this forum, you will discover valuable insights on how a 'dysfunctional' jaw, dental arch anomalies, and various body asymmetries can contribute to illness from a unique perspective. This is your go-to resource for finding effective solutions and achieving lasting relief.
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 3:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 6:51 am 
Site Admin

[b]Schizophrenia Report Blasts Patient Treatment[/b]

A new report into schizophrenia calls for early intervention and an end to "shameful" treatment of patients.
Tuesday 13 November 2012

Standards of care in some mental health units are so poor that they make patients worse, not better,
a new report has warned. An independent inquiry into schizophrenia describes the care given to some patients on secure wards as "shameful". The Schizophrenia Commission found that staff in some units are burnt out and demoralised, and are shut away in offices doing paperwork rather than talking to patients.

The commission's report, An Abandoned Illness
, says patients are given drug treatments and then left to watch television, when they should be receiving psychological help, such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.

On average a stay on an acute mental health unit costs more than £12,000.

Professor Robin Murray, who chaired the commission, said more money should instead be aimed at better - and cheaper - intervention in the early stages of illness, which can reduce the likelihood of patients deteriorating to the point that they need acute care. "People are being badly let down by the system in every area of their lives," he said. "People with psychosis need to be given the hope that it is perfectly possible to live a fulfilling life after diagnosis. "We have no doubt that this is achievable."

Schizophrenia affects more than 220,000 people in England alone
. One in six people will have symptoms of psychosis, such as hallucinations, at some stage of their lives. It costs some 11 billion pounds a year.

The Commission calls for clearer warnings on the use of cannabis, to reduce the risk of schizophrenia. And it says psychiatrists should improve their prescribing to ensure patients are on effective treatment with the minimum of side effects. [More drugs?]

Laura Sherlock used to be a professional trombone player and toured the world, despite suffering delusions and feeling suicidal. She was put on anti-psychotic treatment that left her unable to play music. "I felt numb, deathly tired and barely able to move or think," she said. "When I stopped taking my tablets I was given medication by injections - I had no say in my own treatment."

Paul Jenkins, of the charity Rethink Mental Illness, said: "It is a scandal that in 2012 people with schizophrenia are dying 15 to 20 years earlier than the general population and that only 7% are able to get a job. "Too many people are falling through the gaps in the system and ending up in prison or homeless."

For further reading in trying to understand this condition this doctoral thesis gives great insight into the experiences of schizophrenic patients:

The Early Symptoms of Schizophrenia
James Chapman
Journal: The British Journal of Psychiatry / Volume 112 / Issue 484 / March 1966
Published online by Cambridge University Press: 29 January 2018, pp. 225-251
Print publication: March 1966

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+