TMJ 'dysfunction' - Health implications

Within this forum, you will discover valuable insights on how a 'dysfunctional' jaw, dental arch anomalies, and various body asymmetries can contribute to illness from a unique perspective. This is your go-to resource for finding effective solutions and achieving lasting relief.
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 10:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm 

Thanks Dr Amir,
Your confidence and assurance in this treatment is what gives us the faith to carry on with it.
One really needs to be able to dedicate oneself completely to this treatment to experience the improvements. They may not come quickly enough for some of us, but if disabilities that took decades to manifest can resolve in the space of a few months, it is miraculous!

I wrote this poem three years ago when CCSVI was first reported but I think it is apt here too. ;)

Pathways

Dark and onerous the journey, be careful who you trust
Extortioners and parasites are trying to make a crust
Uncertain destination, they keep you running round
On a tread-mill to nowhere, tied, gagged and bound.

Prostrated and behind the times, they sit in disclamation
The blinkered peddlers of despair can't make the correlation
Can't see that something sparkles like a diamond in the dirt
It shines out like a beacon to the minds that are alert

Illuminating the way ahead with hope, anticipation
A completely new ideal from such a simple realization
So I'll take this new light with me now, leave the gloom behind
Thank goodness for the mavericks and their percipient, open minds

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm 

Great post Jen I'm with you all the way, from the signs I'v seen and felt I am so hopeful that Dr Amir's skills and methods will help rectify me.

From this forum, Dr Amir's office & TIMS etc. I have heard some great stories & met some very positive & inspirational people, I will make sure I do everything in my power to ensure this treatment is given every chance of working.

I will post on my thread any significant improvement's. All the best to you and everyone else being treated by Dr Amir.

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Apr 2013, 5:48 pm 

I hadn’t realised how long it had been since I last posted about my improvements. First of all I must tell you about 2 symptoms I have learned to live with over the years. I have had nystagmus in both my eyes when I look to the side for at least 16 years – it was what prompted my visit to my GP and resulted in an MRI and MS dx. A few days ago I showed my mum that my eyes were getting better and showed her my ‘party piece’ of looking to the side and my eyes jumping about. But they didn’t. She was ecstatic!
The other symptom has been with me for at least 12 years. When I tilt my head back I feel dizzy and sick. Gone.

There has been some improvement in my walking – I cant put my finger on it but i feel my steps are straighter and better. I am now working hard on physio. As I am now fatigue free I can really work on strengthening wasted muscles. I feel like I’m not owned my ‘MS’ anymore and can take control of myself again.

PostPosted: Thu, 06 Jun 2013, 9:59 am 

Great news Jooba, Ella has remarked that it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint where the progress is happening but there is a feeling that something has changed. Fatigue gone is the very best because as you say it enables you to work at getting better.
Michele

PostPosted: Thu, 13 Jun 2013, 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Must not forget what medicine has to offer:
Epub ahead of print: Thurtell MJ, Leigh RJ. Treatment of Nystagmus. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2011 Nov 10.

Nystagmus (jerky eye movements) is common in MS'ers. Many report visual symptoms, such as oscillopsia (vision is jumpy and not easily to see) and blurred vision, which can be alleviated if the nystagmus can be suppressed.

Pharmacological, optical, and surgical treatments are available, with the choice of treatment depending on the characteristics of the nystagmus and the severity of the associated visual symptoms.

Downbeat nystagmus can be treated with 4-aminopyridine, 3,4-diaminopyridine, or clonazepam.

Upbeat nystagmus can be reduced with memantine, 4-aminopyridine, or baclofen.

Torsional nystagmus may respond to gabapentin.

Acquired pendular nystagmus in patients with multiple sclerosis is often partially suppressed by gabapentin or memantine.

Although acquired periodic alternating nystagmus is often completely suppressed by baclofen, memantine can be effective in refractory cases.

Seesaw nystagmus can be reduced with alcohol, clonazepam, or memantine.

Other treatment options for nystagmus include botulinum toxin injections into the extraocular muscles or retrobulbar space. Electro-optical devices are currently being developed, in order to noninvasively negate the visual consequences of nystagmus.

In addition please look into the serious adverse effects attached to these "may be" drugs!

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Jul 2013, 2:14 pm 

After 16 months of treatment Dr Amir I have been told it is time to ‘wean’ me off my brace. I was DX almost 17 years ago, the last 10 of which have been full of nothing but hopelessness and misery.As more disabling symptoms kept creeping in to my life I became house bound, depressed and utterly empty. I had tried Rebif on the advise of my Ms nurse and neuro – surely they had my best interests at heart! When, after 7 months of injecting that poison I felt I was getting worse I spoke to my neuro who said that it was the natural progression of MS.I stopped taking it. Now believing there was literally no hope for me I went into futher decline. Fatigue, bladder problems and a numb mind (brain fog) dictated mine and my familys life. I was a mess. In 2009 I discover, like many others, CCSVI. I went to Egypt for my first angio Dr Tariq Sinan. Fatigue and brain fog were a lot better but after a few months things began to slip back. I went to America for round 2 with Dr James McGuckin. A bit of improvement but short lived. Its hard to describe the sheer desolation and anguish I was feeling. My 2 daughters were being affected – I had no patience, I was in pain and was always tired and sad. Not the best role model! I was secondary progressive( whatever that means), there wasn't any hope. Should I end it all?

An MS sufferer and friend told me she was going to see a dentist in London who could help symptoms with a brace. Ridiculous. I then read a little bit about the treatment and decided in desperation to give it a go.

Amongst my symptoms(and there were a few!) I would consider my bladder to be the most disabling. I didn’t want to leave the house or see anyone because of accidents – I was only 41 for heavens sake.After 4 days of wearing my new brace my terrible bladder was 80% better. Over the next couple of months ALL of my symptoms began to lessen and disapear.

Amir had told me from the start that my walking would take the longest to repair – and it has been. I am symptom free but my walking is still quite bad.
I have been without my brace now for 2 weeks. I had initially been a bit worried that I would start getting symptoms creeping back. How wrong could I be. I am definately getting stronger,sleeping better and breathing better. It feels like I’m in a dream. My wonderful life is coming back to me. Its in touching distance.

I have just returned from a holiday in Spain after many years!

PostPosted: Mon, 26 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm 

Its been 20 months now since treatment with Amir began. I am still discovering ‘small’ things are healing. Things that I’ve just begun to accept as the norm. for me. The most recent is my feet. For the last 4 or 5 years my feet have become ugly and cold. Flakey skin, thinkened gnarled nails and a purpley blue tinge have become the usual regardless of creams, oils and TLC. For about a month I have seen a remarkable improvement! It seems unbelievable to me that they suddenly appear like a regular pair of feet! They are never painfully cold and are a creamy pink in colour. My toenails are 80% better than they were and I have no more dryness or flakey patches. Another thing I have noticed is that I am ‘walking’ with a heal- toe pattern without having to concentrate. My walking is by no means normal. I am definately straighter. Its hard to explain. I have always said to myself that I would probably have a limp or something but if I could walk without help this would be ok.I dont think for one minute I will have a limp or any suggestion of disability!
I have been completely well for months now. I am the healthiest I have been in my life. My one problem is the tightness in my hips/legs.I am now playing around with my supplements to address this problem