TMJ 'dysfunction' - Health implications

Within this forum, you will discover valuable insights on how a 'dysfunctional' jaw, dental arch anomalies, and various body asymmetries can contribute to illness from a unique perspective. This is your go-to resource for finding effective solutions and achieving lasting relief.
It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 5:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm 

On Saturday 1st June I decided to take the plunge and open my mouth to Dr Amir's expertise. He said that he had never seen anything like it... I imagine though that everyone's mouth is different, so not surprised to hear that. However there was one surprise for me once the Xrays had appeared on his screen. He said that at one time the extractions that had been done in my 20s' left me with a broken root in place. I have had a significant amount of pain in the sinus area of my left cheek and the broken root could have some role in that. One of the things I would hope will improve is my alopecia. One advantage of this condition is that it is visible. I have taken pictures of the state of my hair and will post them here shortly. It will be interesting to see if there is any change in the next couple of months. Another improvement I am hoping for is the disappearance of the numbness in my feet and legs. We shall see...
The pain in my cheek is better, at times practically gone, however it has been replaced by the discomfort in my teeth/jaw. I seem to be able to breath better through my left nostril. I am looking forward to seeing some changes and will post them here.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Wed, 05 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm 

Welcome to the club Michele! It is interesting to hear what results the dental braces manage to achieve in different conditions. Asymmetry does seem to impact almost everybody in different ways. My Father also has a night-time brace which he has been using for some time. He has Menieres Disease and would suffer severe attacks of vertigo and sickness regularly. Since he has been wearing the brace, he has had no attacks, feels clear headed and stronger. Even his golf has improved which pleases him no end!
I do hope you start to feel some positive changes too Michele. For me, numbness and pins and needles were one of the first symptoms to disappear, and I will follow your alopecia updates with interest too. I look forward to reading your progress. :)

PostPosted: Wed, 05 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm 

Thanks Jen, interesting information re your dad's vertigo. It makes sense of course since vertigo is caused by disturbances in the ear canal... How are you doing now? I don't suppose we will catch up with each other in the clinic now as Ella and I are going to come on Saturdays now that she is working every day of the week. I hope you are continuing to see benefits.

I am going to attach some pictures here of the alopecia so that a visual record can be seen. If something positive changes I will be very pleased. However it is has to be a long view because alopecia like MS is a relapsing remitting condition. I am saved from complete baldness by the fact that white hair is stronger than my 'normal' hair and has stayed stuck to my head even when all the black hair has disappeared.

Attachments:
File comment: Missing eyebrow and eyelashes May 2013
missing eyebrow and eye lashes May 2013.jpg
missing eyebrow and eye lashes May 2013.jpg [ 53.55 KiB | Viewed 13222 times ]
File comment: April 2013, 1 months before starting TMD treatment
alopecia April 2013-2.jpg
alopecia April 2013-2.jpg [ 57.24 KiB | Viewed 13222 times ]