TMJ 'dysfunction' - Health implications

Within this forum, you will discover valuable insights on how a 'dysfunctional' jaw, dental arch anomalies, and various body asymmetries can contribute to illness from a unique perspective. This is your go-to resource for finding effective solutions and achieving lasting relief.
It is currently Fri, 29 Mar 2024, 11:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cranio-cervical trauma
PostPosted: Mon, 08 Oct 2012, 4:32 pm 

A physiotherapist sent me this link to a paper on the possible role of Cranio-Cervial trauma in MS.http://www.fonar.com/pdf/pcp41_damadian.pdf. Over the years I have heard from many people with MS who have had accidents involving the head and neck and it seems entirely possible that trauma as well as a number of other factors might be significant in the aetiology of MS.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Oct 2012, 7:37 pm 

Michele wrote:
A physiotherapist sent me this link to a paper on the possible role of Cranio-Cervial trauma in MS.http://www.fonar.com/pdf/pcp41_damadian.pdf. Over the years I have heard from many people with MS who have had accidents involving the head and neck and it seems entirely possible that trauma as well as a number of other factors might be significant in the aetiology of MS.

Michele
I wrote extensively about this subject on thisisms.com. It is one of the best studies ever conducted on MS. I however raised a query on the exact location of the extravasation of the CSF but never received a reply. Their insinuation that the CSF flows into the brain parenchyma does not appear to hold true. I queried that the word used should have been stroma. I hope they soon clarify this as it has a huge bearing on the accepted, unsubstantiated auto-immune hypothesis.

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm 

I've always wondered about a trauma link as well. Although I had had a bout of optic neuritis several years prior, my ms descent began after two mild auto accidents within a 4 month period. They were both head on impacts with drivers pulling out and stopping in front of me. The second also had the airbags deploy. After this, I had numbness in my left hand that the chiropractors couldn't resolve. I had electrostim to heal soft tissue damage. Initially an upper back, scapular adjustment seemed to relieve it and I was told that there must be pressure on the nerve that was causing the numbness. But in time, it stopped being effective and I was referred for a spinal mri which showed the infamous white spots. I declined further testing/treatment by the interested neurologists. It has always seemed to be a causal link to me although possibly a secondary cause or triggering event.

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 9:59 pm 

Thekla wrote:
I've always wondered about a trauma link as well. Although I had had a bout of optic neuritis several years prior, my ms descent began after two mild auto accidents within a 4 month period. They were both head on impacts with drivers pulling out and stopping in front of me. The second also had the airbags deploy. After this, I had numbness in my left hand that the chiropractors couldn't resolve. I had electrostim to heal soft tissue damage. Initially an upper back, scapular adjustment seemed to relieve it and I was told that there must be pressure on the nerve that was causing the numbness. But in time, it stopped being effective and I was referred for a spinal mri which showed the infamous white spots. I declined further testing/treatment by the interested neurologists. It has always seemed to be a causal link to me although possibly a secondary cause or triggering event.

Trauma to the neck from any source is very likely to be a strong candidate for the cause or worsening of symptoms. Many patients are literally hanging by the skin of their teeth. The slightest injury can bring on serious illness if the patient is not correctly handled.

The improper facial development due to the consumption of processed foods is the initial cause of potential neck damage. Poor swallowing patterns, loosing any teeth for whatever reason and genetically missing teeth cause further neck damage. Any trauma to the neck from falls, accidents or high velocity neck adjustments can cause serious imbalances and result in many complex symptoms. Atlas asymetry cannot be left out of the equation.

'MS' (if there is such an entity) appears to be a conglomeration of symptoms emanating from structural asymmetries no matter how caused.

Correct early treatment is the key to avoid chronic damage and incapacity.

PostPosted: Mon, 22 Oct 2012, 10:38 pm 

With my early dental history of 5yrs of NHS orthodontic treatment to correct a crowded mouth and protruding teeth, I have since always had a lopsided face, then I had a serious cycling accident (neck & collar bone) whilst working in Thailand a few years ago, from that point I was never the same (poor posture) and started experiencing the symptoms I now live with, there seems to be a definate link, so I have everything crossed that Dr Amir's treatment will be successful with me.

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm 

Dr. Amir have you tried Fonar again? This seems such an important study you can't simply let it go, you must try and strike up a conversation with them.

PostPosted: Wed, 24 Oct 2012, 5:31 am 

EJC wrote:
Dr. Amir have you tried Fonar again? This seems such an important study you can't simply let it go, you must try and strike up a conversation with them.

In view of the latest posts from NY on the CCSVI thread on Thisisms they are rather divorced from reality. It is not worth my while to get involved in any controversy with them. We do not know what commercial, legal and regulatory pressures they are under that they have failed to volunteer the information.
We need our own Upright MRI scanner here. Any philanthropists out there?

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm 

I'm not sure if this of any use, but there is an upright MRI facility in West London, from what I read it is a Fonar machine: http://www.uprightmri.co.uk/london.html

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm 

I did enquire from them but they are not able to do the dynamic studies which we are so interested in.

PostPosted: Mon, 29 Oct 2012, 2:48 pm 

That is a shame, maybe they will be able to do these in the future.